In a lot of areas in the country, the snow has melted and
Spring Summer is in the air. Even here in Alaska, it is warming up and gardeners are prepping their gardens. One of my favorite things to do is to get a jump start on nature and grow plants from seeds inside. When I lived in Arizona in Zone 9, I would start seeds in late January and February and plant them out in the garden in early March. Here in Alaska, I’m in Zone 4 and learning a different way to garden. If you don’t know what zone you are in, find out here.
When I used to work for a Department of Defense contractor, I needed a creative release from Corporate America. I started growing seeds on the balcony in my little apartment in Phoenix in May. Everything died. All the books said not to plant until after Mother’s Day. Well, in Phoenix, that is just too late. I went back to school and became a Master Gardener for the Low Desert and also received a degree in Horticulture.
Botanical Interests is one of my fave resources for Organic Seeds.
I grew up gardening with my grandmothers – one loved to plant fruit and vegetables and the other was addicted to flowers. So that’s what I tend to grow together quite a bit. I wrote over 400 gardening articles for other bloggers last year and saw my pins do great on Pinterest too! I decided that this year I would have a gardening section on my blog because I miss it so much. I will walk you through how to start your first garden, what you need, what to plant, and will answer any gardening question you have.
Love these new Plant Markers! Totally cute, right?
I’m going to start with a list of gardening items that will come in handy to get you started gardening this year. Some items are best for gardening in small spaces like balconies and small yards, and others for large gardening spaces. Now, you don’t need all these things, but it is a good list of items to see what you have or can borrow. Each section will be a future blog post to help you out too! So are you ready to start a garden? If you have ANY gardening questions, please let me know in the comments and I will answer them. One lucky reader will receive my fave Organic Seed Packets! 🙂
**I posted this originally back in February and my non-gardening friends were shocked at everything that I listed. In the beginning, you do need quite a few things. Now, you don’t need to buy everything new, but this is a pretty good Gardening Wish List.**
Gardening Wish List
Growing From Seed
- Germination Station with Heat Mat
- 720 Cells Seedling Starter Trays for Seed Germination +5 Plant Labels (120, 6-cell Trays)
- JumpStart Windowsill Tray Kit
- GrowEase Self Watering Seed Starter Kit, 12 Cells
- Seedling Starter Trays, 144 Cells
- 4-ft Grow Light System
- Black Gold 8-Quart Seedling Mix
Soil and Amendments
- FoxFarm Happy Frog Organic Potting Soil
- Black Gold 8-Quart Seedling Mix
- Earthworm Castings
- Bat Guano
- Blood Meal
- Bone Meal
- Drip Irrigation Kit for Container Gardening
- Premium 50 Gallon Rain Barrel Kit
- Gray Elephant Watering Can – too cute!
- Fiskars Garden Bucket Caddy
- 5-Piece Garden Tool Set With Tote And Folding Seat
- Fiskars 3 Piece Softouch Garden Tool Set
- Women’s Garden Gloves
- Men’s Gardening Gloves
- EarthBox Container Gardening System
- Vertical Living Wall Planter
- Composting 50-Plant Garden Tower by Garden Tower Project – on my list!!
- Panterra Pot, Green, 10-Inch (need minimum 8″ pots for healthy plants)
- Classic Pot, Chocolate, 20-Inch
- Dura Cotta Planter Bowl, 12-Inch
- Terra Cotta, 20-Inch, Large Size
- Milano Planter Bowl, 17-Inch, Terra Cotta
Greenhouses and Work Stations (so needed!)
- 4-Tier Mini Greenhouse
- Deluxe Walk-In 6 Tier 12 Shelf Portable Greenhouse
- Cold Frame Greenhouse
- Cold Frame Seed Starter
- Four Season Chalet Hobby Greenhouse (my dream greenhouse)
- Portable Outdoor Gardening Center with Interchangeable Shelves, Tool Storage And Utility Bin
- Merry Garden Potting Bench with Recessed Storage
- Cedar Garden Center with Tray
Bulbs & Trees (I will have many gardening posts on this)
AeroGarden (to grow inside – Awesome!)
Ummm… am I going to have to get a second job to pay for a gardening habit? My idea of “gardening” has always been like… “put seeds in dirt, add water… done.”
hahaha wait, wait hahahaha. Gardening is an addiction. That’s how I became a seedaholic – I have over 300 seed packets. Oh, and tools, how many trowels does one gardener need. One if every color, of course! Seriously… I might go overboard though 🙂 But how can you *not* want that elephant watering can?
Terry Poage says
Thanks for the great tips. I love to mess in the garden.
I need to plant a memorial tree. It has to be special. My landscaper recommended a dwarf magnolia or jacaranda? Thoughts? Since I live in this wonderful climate 😂