40 Things To Do Before You Turn 40
I turn 40 tomorrow on 4-5-14 and I have been reflecting back on my 30s. I had a list of things I wanted to accomplish in my 30s and have checked off quite a bit. Do you make a list of things you want to do in your life? Of course I will write another post of 40 Things to do in my 40s!
One thing I know is that when I was a teenager I thought I knew everything and thought 40 was old. Really old. Then in my 20s I started and sold a very successful business, graduated from college and searched for who I really was. All my friends were starting families but I knew it wasn’t the right time for me as I had so many things I wanted to accomplish first before I felt I was ready to be with someone else. Then in my 30s I had another business that didn’t end so well, got married and divorced with no kids still, and realized I knew nothing about life. I was living my life to please others. Right before I turned 39 I had an epiphany and sold all of my things, put the rest in the car and took off on the road less traveled. I was on the road 202 Days, drove through 38 states and ran in 10 half marathons! During this last year on the road I found myself again. I’m a strong, courageous woman who isn’t afraid anymore and ready to embark on yet another journey… my 40s!
Everything in blue I accomplished… what about you? What would you add to this list to do before you turn 40?
1. Go skydiving so you know what it feels like to fly.
2. Hike the Grand Canyon rim-to-rim-to-rim.
3. Be able to order a nice bottle of both white and red wine at dinner.
4. Go on a vacation alone for at least three days somewhere you have never been.
5. Drive the Going-to-the-Sun road in Glacier National Park to see the waterfalls.
6. Learn how to code html or another other computer language.
7. Visit a foreign country and meet the locals and act like you live there instead of just visiting.
8. Love someone deeply from the bottom of your soul. Tell them.
9. Be able to kiss a man senseless.
10. Go skinny dipping.
11. See a Broadway Play in New York City.
12. Grow a plant from seed and watch it grow throughout its life cycle.
13. Dip your toes into both the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans.
14. Learn how to drive a stick shift.
15. Laugh until you pee your pants.
16. Forgive your frenemies and move on. You only hurt yourself by holding on to grudges. Stop letting them have power over you.
17. Stop judging others, more importantly stop judging yourself.
18. Go to the movies by yourself and like it.
19. Earn a scuba diver’s certificate. Use it.
20. Scuba dive off the Great Barrier Reef and see the wonderment under the sea.
21. Learn to forgive others and let go. Practice it every day. Let go of those expectations while you are at it.
22. Make bread from scratch and work the dough with your bare hands.
23. Write down your fears and tackle each one. Do this often.
24. Talk to a homeless person and hear their story. Just listen, don’t judge.
25. Write a letter to your 13-year old self – what would you say? What advice would you give?
26. Now write a letter to your 60-year old self. What are you most proud of? What would you change if you could go back in time?
27. Have one killer recipe that you can make from scratch that will impress your guests.
28. Watch the leaves change colors in New England.
29. Taste fresh lobster in Maine and try a lobster roll while you are there.
30. Drink a mojito in Miami’s South Beach at the nude beach.
31. Explore the one religion that scares you the most to understand their side.
32. Stand still. Listen. Really listen to your inner voice and trust your intuition. Always. Your intuition knows best.
33. Dance in the rain like no one is watching.
34. Hug someone for two minutes that you don’t know.
35. Learn how to build a fire from scratch.
36. Run a 5k or a half marathon. Challenge yourself physically.
37. Learn a second language and be fluent.
38. Realize that sarcasm hurts others, so choose your words wisely. You don’t have to put someone down to be funny.
39. Get a college or master’s degree for yourself and not for anyone else.
40. Backpack around Europe and South America like you wanted to do when you were 20.