Every year my Nona makes the cranberry sauce for the Holidays. This year though, we won’t be celebrating Thanksgiving together as she is in Tucson, Arizona and I am in Anchorage, Alaska. A couple years ago when I wasn’t going to be home again, I called her up and asked her for her cranberry recipe.
She didn’t want to give it to me. It was a secret. Seriously. It wasn’t the first time I had asked either. I had to ask her for over five minutes to tell it to me. She told me the recipe was handed down to her by her mother-in-law almost 50 years ago and if I was going to post it on that thing called the Internet I better give her credit. Yes, she is quite the character!!
What a gorgeous woman inside and out – Lola Trimmer. You ever wonder where I get my spunk? Right here.
This is my Nona, Lola Trimmer’s Top Secret Cranberry Sauce Recipe… please don’t tell anybody! Shhhhh, it’s our little secret!
- 1 lb fresh [url href=”http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008H6N772?tag=dragonflyrunning-20″ target=”_blank”]cranberries[/url], grinded
- 1.5 cups [url href=”http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007OC3734?tag=dragonflyrunning-20″ target=”_blank”]seedless grapes[/url], quartered
- 1.5 cups boiling water
- 1 cup [url href=”http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0010XV5T6?tag=dragonflyrunning-20″ target=”_blank”]sugar[/url]
- 1 small box [url href=”http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JD8VASG?tag=dragonflyrunning-20″ target=”_blank”]Jell-O[/url], she likes cherry sugar free
- 1 can [url href=”http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000RYBUD0?tag=dragonflyrunning-20″ target=”_blank”]Mandarin oranges[/url]
- Quarter all the grapes. [url href=”http://kristitrimmer.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/grapes_thumb.jpg”][img src=”http://kristitrimmer.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/grapes_thumb.jpg” width=”244″ height=”178″ class=”aligncenter size-full” title=”grapes_thumb”][/url]
- Boil the water in a saucepan and then dissolve the sugar and Jell-O in it. Use the final container (my Nona says you should use the pretty crystal one!) that will hold your cranberry sauce.
- To grind the cranberries, put them in the food processor and pulse them until they are chopped up, but not pureed. Add the grinded cranberries, and the quartered grapes to it and mix well.
- Pour the Jell-O water mixture over the top of the cranberry mixture and stir well. Saran wrap the container and refrigerate for a minimum of 4 hours. [url href=”http://kristitrimmer.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/cranberries_thumb.jpg”][img src=”http://kristitrimmer.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/cranberries_thumb.jpg” width=”244″ height=”135″ class=”aligncenter size-full” title=”cranberries_thumb”][/url]
- Drain the Mandarin oranges and pat dry. Once the cranberry sauce is firm, place the oranges on the top in a creative pattern – she suggested a smiley face. 🙂 I am going to add fresh raspberries to mine. This recipe is super simple, but oh so delicious.
- The cranberries in this pic still need to be decorated – trying to decide on what I want to do. Decisions, decisions.